Designed by renowned Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa amongst eight acres of swaying coconut plantations, Claughton House sits on a private stretch of beach close to Tangalle on Sri Lanka’s unspoiled southern coast. Blending traditional Sinhalese and colonial architecture with modern open plan design, this stunning hilltop villa enhances its surroundings and allows guests to enjoy uninterrupted ocean views throughout.
The villa comprises three double bedrooms and two triples. The master suite is located in the main house along with two exceptionally large double bedrooms which can be converted into triples to house extra guests. In an annex building connected via a covered walkway are two further bedrooms, one of which doubles as a games room.
The elevated dining area on the second floor provides a glorious vantage point from which to enjoy the exquisite cuisine prepared by the villa’s internationally trained chef. Meals can also be enjoyed from a covered outdoor dining area complete with BBQ pit.
On the ground floor, a breeze-cooled living space with soft furnishings and bean bags provides the ideal spot to lounge with a book or to take a postprandial nap.
Hewn into the cliff rocks, the villa’s pool boasts what is arguably the best view of all and from here, a path through the estate’s expansive gardens leads down to a pristine white sand beach – accessible only to Claughton Houseguests – that is suitable for swimming.
The villa is completed with a private yoga shala nestled within the grounds and a massage room for spa treatments.
Guests can expect attentive service that remains discreet from the villa’s team of five fulltime staff.
Villa size: TBA | Garden size: 800sqm
Something missing in this villa? Dont worry, our Concierge can arrange it for you. Just let us know :)
- Swimming pool
- Wi-Fi Internet
- Yoga shala
- BBQ equipment
- Private beach
- Massage room
- Airport transfer
- Car/driver available (extra cost)
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Full board (additional charges apply)
- Cooking Classes
- Yoga Classes (extra cost)
- DVD player
- Table tennis
- Satellite TV
- Games room
- Massages (extra cost)
- Personal guest assistant
- Pool maintenance
- Security service
Out & About
- From October to April whale watching trips are available to see blue and sperm whale as well as orcas, dolphins and sea turtles
- For an off-the-beaten-track experience, explore the seven cave temples of nearby Mulkiligara and its spectacular hilltop viewpoint
- Tangalle is an excellent jumping-off point for some of Sri Lanka’s best and most varied wildlife reserves; take a leopard spotting safari at Yala National Park and for elephants head to nearby Udawalawe National Park
Daily rates from$ 850
Tangalle, Southern Beaches
Terms & Conditions
- Check-in: From 15:00
- Check-out: Until 11:00
- Late check-out subject to availability
- Security deposit: TBA